Monday 14 September 2015

Monday ended in a coup.

Hi everyone,
 
Another beautifully warm day here, and one that has slid into not-cold evening.  The only thing that would have made it better would have been a day off.  Can't have everything I suppose!
 
I was on the move reasonably promptly this morning - early enough to take a picture of the Toolamba bridge (from the Arcadia side this time).  I always say it looks like something out of the Wild West.  I don't think I'm wrong, do you?
 
 
Bridge over the Goulburn River, near Toolamba
 
I'm not sure that I actually achieved anything by being at work early, as for most of the morning I had literally no work to do except to follow a few things up.  I would up going through the emails in my Gmail account and basically killing time until midday.  I can tell you that enforced idleness is a lot more annoying than you imagine.
 
Lake Bartlett, Tatura
 
Because it was a beautiful day, I went down to Lake Bartlett to have my lunch (the remains of last night's salad and a punnet of strawberries).  It was a peaceful place to have lunch.  If I'd had a bottle of chilled white wine with me, I probably wouldn't have gone back to the office!
 
 
The afternoon saw me finally get some actual work to attend to, wading through multiple electronic folders of documents and isolating items which need to be the subject of a report to the Board.  Not an exciting task (well, let's be honest: it's mind-numbing) but I was frankly grateful to have something to do.  The only drawback was that I got distracted from it fairly easily after a morning of not being on the job.
 
I went to see mum at the hospital.  She's dead excited about the nearness of a discharge date, and her spirits are very good just now.  It's great to see.  When I got home I had a letter I was delighted to receive.  I think I said that the other week I sent a copy of my old thesis on St Bernard of Clairvaux to the Citeaux Abbey in France, in the event that someone might be researching the same area and find some benefit in my (now very dated) research?  Well, I got a very nice card back from Brother Raphael of that Order.

 
 
He said that he's planning to read it in January - I'm beyond flattered that he plans to read it at all!
 
It's been a quiet evening, apart from the odd 'ping' out of my phone with news on the political coup in Canberra.  We have a new Prime Minister in the form of Malcolm Turnbull.  I must sound like a broken record, but it all seems quaintly irrelevant.  Truth be told, what happens in Canberra barely touches me: my life means keeping an eye out for jobs, making sure I have money for my girls and to keep fuel in the car, and doing what I can to make my own community a better place.  Politicians can talk about how they can change all this sot of thing, but I less and less believe that they can.  Following political machinations can be a fun parlour game, but it feels as practically remote from me as the manoueverings at the court of Henry I must have been to a twelfth-century peasant.
Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.  His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.  Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God (Psalm 146:3-5)

 
Not much more I can think of to add.  I hope wherever you are, the weather is good and the week it is starting out well!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment